Legislation on indirect tax or VAT contains a complex set of rules, national and international, which are constantly subject to change and which may have an impact on the entrepreneur's daily activities. It can therefore be a full-time job to understand this legislation, keep track of its changes and translate them into practical applications, solutions and proposals. VGD's VAT specialists are happy to help you with this.
Support in all questions regarding VAT
VGD's VAT specialists not only see it as their task to familiarise you as an entrepreneur with the complexity of indirect taxation and to assist you with all your questions and problems, but also provide a proactive service to keep you informed of recent changes.
Our VAT specialists focus mainly on commercial businesses, both at national and international level. They also have extensive knowledge and experience in the non-profit sector.
Moreover, the VGD VAT team is part of both an internal international VGD network and an external international network (Nexia), which allows us to find an answer to any international VAT questions you may have.
Our VAT services
The VGD VAT team offers the following categories of services:
- VAT representation
- VAT recovery abroad
The VGD VAT team can, among other things, provide you with specific assistance in the following areas:
- Fulfilment of VAT formalities for Belgian and foreign taxable persons (application for VAT numbers and VAT licences, submission of VAT returns and other listings and declarations, conduct and/or supervision of VAT accounts, creation and supervision of VAT units, etc.)
- Assistance with VAT controls, disputes, regularisations, etc.
- Advice at all important moments in the life cycle of your company (establishment, restructuring, closure)
- Advice on planned changes in trade flows, implementation of new accounting package, ... and assistance with preparing for decisions
- Advice on VAT optimisations and implementation guidance
- Proactive VAT audit in the context of acquisitions, audit in the context of statutory audit or audit as a stand-alone product
In principle, work on property is subject to the standard VAT rate of 21%. However, certain transactions are subject to the reduced VAT rate of 6% if the following conditions are all met:
A recent amendment of the law removes the traditional VAT building declaration that a client has to submit when building or renovating.
After an agreement in principle was reached within the government in March of this year on the introduction of an optional VAT letting system, a final bill has now been drafted. This new regulation will enter into force on 1 January 2019.
NOTE: This article is out of date: read the update for 2019 here